Cornerstone Advisors’ Take on Community Bank and Credit Union Priorities and Technology Plans
231 executives from mid-size banks and credit unions about their outlook, concerns, priorities, and technology plans for 2016.
- For the first time in five years the regulatory burden isn’t at the top of bank CEOs’ list of concerns.
- Online and mobile banking top the list of technologies that community-based FIs plan to improve the utilization of, and add new or replacement systems.
- Establishing and improving enterprise risk management replaces regulatory compliance as the top risk management priority for banks.
- Technology management complexity continues to be a challenge for many FIs, as roughly four in 10 are categorized as facing high complexity.
- Growing loans—commercial for banks, consumer for credit unions—continues to be the top growth priority.
- Despite CEOs' focus on lending as a source of growth, improvements and/or replacements to lending systems were not ranked highly as technologies needing attention in 2016.
- Mergers are a 2016 growth priority for four in 10 credit union CEOs, a sharp increase from previous years.